Tuesday 21 May 2013

Suppressed Norinco M14 / M1A / M305 / M14S review

Back in 2009 Guncity sent me a suppressed Norinco M14 (yes "M14" per receiver marking) for the purpose of doing a video review, see below.

Part 1



Part 2



After doing the video review above I decided I'd buy the basic rifle for myself. At $499 NZD these rifles are practically being given away so I had to nab one of my own. Opening up a yummy new rifle always feels good. The rifle and mag were sealed separately in plastic, both saturated in oil. The rifle even had bits of cloth soaked in the stuff and tied with string to the sling mounts and trigger guard. These things could be stored indefinitely the way they're packed away.

The rifle is a 2009 model per the serial # (first 4 digits), and I have to say my first impressions were good. The hand guard fits symmetrically unlike the non-2009 earlier production m305 I video tested above (which also had a super hard-to-open butt stock compartment!). The iron sights weren't too flash with the front marginally canted and the rear sight's windage adjustment screws not working (common Norinco m14 fault). The multi tool, brush, cleaning rod etc were all there in the butt stock and also the rifle came with manual and a sling. Removing the mag was hard initially but got easier. The inane 7 round mag limit needs to change so users can get a proper grip of a decent length mag. Pushing your thumb down through the action is necessary to dislodge the tight fitting mags.  


Due to changing circumstances and work I haven't had the opportunity to shoot my personal Norinco m14 much at all.  I've put less than 100 rounds of cheap ammo through the rifle and groups weren't particularly tight.  Ammo or gun, I haven't determined as yet.  At this point my plan is to mount a red dot on the rifle and use it at shorter distances than my Dragunov.  

See my post about scope mounting these rifles. Click here
 



 


No comments:

Post a Comment