Monday 20 May 2013

Broken POSP 8x42D scope

Around May 2009 my Dragunov Tigr 'broke' my POSP 8x42D scope. Below is a bit of video to show the problem and includes some shooting also.






At first appearances it looked to be the reticle shifting within the scope. I’m a bit disappointed because when I bought this scope in April 2008 I obviously thought I would be getting something solid and robust enough to suit my Tigr.  It has the traditional eastern European, com bloc design that I assumed was built for such a purpose as the Dragunov.  A point of difference with this scope however is that it is not Russian.  It is made in Belarus and thus the POSP designation.  The Russians argue that these scopes are inferior to their Russian made scopes which have the PSO designation.  If buying another scope of this type I would try the PSO. 


Seeing as my 1 year warranty had run out, and the guy I bought it off wouldn't receive it back for that reason, I decided I had nothing to lose and dismantled the scope to see what the issue was. It turns out the reticle side of things was perfectly fine and the reticle adjustments do work as they should. Perhaps the component that was loose (shown in last pic below) fooled me into thinking the turret adjustments had failed and I didn't turn them far enough to see that they were, in fact, adjusting fine.
 

2 small screws hold the objective housing from unscrewing:

Looking down at the reticle from the objective end:


having removed the adjustable diopter eyepiece

Looking down the eyepiece end of the scope at the picture reversal mechanism.

Removing the additional eyepiece housing

Looking at the reticle from the eyepiece end of the scope

The little lens at fault is in this eyepiece component.  It is the picture reversal component.  That little piece of glass was loose in its housing and rattled back and forth quite a bit.  Note: the adjustable diopter simply means that the outer eyepiece housing screws in and out on a thread to adjust diopter and is unrelated to this little piece of glass.



There is a little metal sleeve on a thread that screws up against the picture reversal lens.  You can see the metal sleeve with the two notches out of it below.  This sleeve was loose thus causing the lens to rattle around and mess up the picture through the scope.



The section containing the loose lens unscrews from the housing around it, but it was screwed in there so tight I couldn't undo it and had to be content with reaching in from above to get at the metal sleeve. 

I cut some thin metal to the right size and used it as a makeshift screw driver.  I removed the metal sleeve and put some loctite on the the sleeve's threads.  Had to be extremely careful as any overflow would ruin the picture.  
After re-assembly the view through the scope may have had a few more specs, hard to tell.  Also, if the scope had been nitrogen purged to stop condensation that would have obviously been lost.  I don't really trust the scope now after having this experience, but it'll do as a backup.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment